It’s Friday! Except really it’s Saturday but I wanted to start doing a Friday Five again because it appeared that, when I did a couple last year (like, seriously, last year sounds so weird— my brain keeps telling me it’s 2013 still!), but I never had chance to do this on Friday so I’m writing it today and yeah… that’s all there is to it.
1) ANYWAY. Let’s get started. So the first thing that happened to me during the last week was that I finished writing a book! My seventh book! For publication! It was a very weird feeling, because it still feels as though I’ve only just written my first book, and so to say I’ve written seven just seems surreal. This book will bring my total amount of published words to 392,000, which— again— seems very surreal as it’s a Very Big Number. And yet each book stills just as scary and exciting as my first.
2) Which brings me to number two! The second thing that I did this week was take one night off after I finished writing my seventh book, but then not working on something was strange (apart from edits, as I’m working on edits for To Be An Unknown, coming Aug 16th) and so I spent the next three days finalizing an outline and research for a book that I’ve been wanting to write for about three years now… and so I started writing it. I’ve only got 11 pages so far, but it’s historical and I love it. It’s very very different to my other books, and the amount of research behind is mind-blowing because WHO WOULD OF THOUGHT SO MUCH RESEARCH would have been needed for JUST THE SMALLEST DETAIL. But anyway— I’m referring to it as #The HistoricalBook over on twitter, and I printed off the prologue and showed some people it and shared a sneak peak of it online, and the response so far has been really positive, which is so good to hear!
3) What else happened during the last seven days? Hmm. Oh! Yes! I ate some Homemade Chocolate Cadbury Creme Egg Popping Candy Biscuit Base Tart that a relative made for after a meal, and it was delicious. I feel like this is a Notable Event to mention on here, because I mentioned it briefly in a tweet and everybody was like OH THAT SOUNDS AMAZING, and I have to admit, it was. Not only that, but it took me TWO NIGHTS to eat because it was so rich. Also, the next night I ate chocolate concrete, and the night after a chocolate muffin, and the day after a double chocolate cookie… with hot chocolate. I realize now that I have eaten far too much chocolate this week….
4) I booked a trip to Edinburgh! I’m not going until towards the end of this year, but I’m going! I plan on visiting some of the little cafes there and writing in the one that J.K. Rowling wrote in— The Elephant House!— and also to write on the bathroom wall. I don’t really know very much about this bathroom wall in this cafe, but I hear you can just WRITE on it with a pen about Harry Potter and that it is okay to do so! Also, a little Christmas shop opens there around the time of year that I’m going, which is perfect for Christmas gifts. I also want to climb Arthur’s Seat, and take a picture of the view. Plus, The Balmoral— the hotel in which J. K. Rowling finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in. And… basically, when I get to Edinburgh, I’m going to be a typical tourist and take pictures and visit all the spots that are recommended.
5) The last thing! I am really excited because it has just turned into the month of March, which means that my books (Bones On The Surface, Soulless, The Sweet Life, and Their Time To Go) are coming to a BOOKSTORE NEAR YOU! They really are! Waterstones, Barnes and Noble, etc.— they’ll be available! Previously, they were only available online in paperback and ebook formats in various countries, but from April (next month!) you’ll be able to find them in stories. And, if you can’t find them, you’ll be able to either order it in or request that they stock it/them, and they can do! As soon as it happens, I’ll be sure to keep my eyes out for copies in the wild (you too! Seeing your pictures if it happens will be awesome!) or I’m going to walk into a store and be like:
ME: Hey. So, do you have Bones On The Surface? Or The Sweet Life, by Joshua J. Johnson.
BOOKSTORE: Let’s just have a look. No, no, but we can order it in for you and stock it!
ME: Yes, yes, that will be great!
BOOKSTORE: And what name is it?
*repeats in different bookstores*
So, that’s all for this week! I hope you all have a great weekend, and I’ll see you next Friday, you know, when hopefully the post will actually be posted on a Friday, rather than Saturday’s Friday Five…