Five reasons to hate plagiarism- my first piece of writing that isn’t a short story (just to see how I do!)
Yes, we all copy and paste bits and pieces off the internet, like Wikipedia for example, and certain quotes, but plagiarism, the actual act of copying somebody else’s entire work, and using it as your own with no acknowledgements, permission or referencing, can be very upsetting for the person who did the actual work.
1) They have devoted much of their time, effort and dedication to complete that work.
2) They’ll be proud of it, and taking it away from will just stress them out and make the whole thing feel worthless.
3) They’ll be discouraged from publishing future work online for free for everybody to see, and this will be a bad result for them and for everybody else.
4) The worse thing that could happen would be that the person who has copied it would send it to a publisher, and have it published as their own work, making you look like the fraud.
5) It’s not worth it. If you want to get known out there, then do your own work off your back out of your own time, and that way you’ll be much more respected and valued as writer, or a blogger, or whatever you’ve done, because you are capable of it, and so just try it!
I’ve been lucky enough not to be copied myself so far, and I trust my readers never to copy my work. By all means share it, and tell people about it, but that’s all.
Thank you, and happy reading!